Following the discovery of gold in 1828 in the Dahlonega area, settlers began to arrive in north Georgia. Roswell King, an industrialist and businessman living in Darien, Georgia, explored the area with the intention of opening textile mills. He followed Indian trails to the Chattahoochee River, where he discovered the forested area along what is now called Vickery Creek, the perfect site for a cotton mill.

Mr. King began construction on the mill and one year later, in 1839, the Roswell Manufacturing Company began producing duck cloth, rope and woolens. In 1840, Mr. King constructed two apartment style houses for the mill workers, which were named The Bricks.

During the Civil War, this first Roswell mill was a leading manufacturer of the materials used by the Confederate Army. By this time, most of the men of the mill village had left to fight the war, leaving the women and children to operate the mill. In July, 1864, Union Troops entered Roswell, burned the mill and charged its workers with treason, sending them all north. Their fate remains a mystery.

The mill standing today was built in 1882 and operated as part of the Roswell Manufacturing Company until 1945 when Southern Mills purchased it. The two buildings that were known as The Bricks remain, of course, having been transformed from mill worker's quarters to much more gracious living spaces. Thanks to inspired renovation that has preserved their original character, they take their place among the best examples of historic Roswell and serve as a legacy of a much more turbulent time in our nation's history.